Monday, February 23, 2009

Swimming Lessons

I realised something very cool about swimming lessons today. I was just talking to my sister about how her swimming lesson went, after she attended her first one today. A brief summary of the conversation.

Me: "Hey, so how was swimming? Did you learn how to swim already?"
Her: "No, not yet. I just learnt how to breathe underwater for the first session today."

Seems like she enjoyed her lesson. I was just thinking that swimming is very much similar to the kingdom of God. We start off our walk with God with the basics; learning how to say grace, pray, spending time with God, doing caregroup roles etc. But yet, God reminded me today of how important this so called basic steps are. Prayer, fasting, worship, reading the bible. The essentials of living a God-filled life. How much of this do I actually do? If i haven't been doing all this daily and faithfully, now is the time to start (especially since i have so much time now -.- lol)

They may be regarded as basic steps, but all this are determinants of how much we really desire and want to grow in God. I may have known Christ for some time, but if I don't have the desire to want to grow in Christ, to want to become more and more like Christ, then there isn't much meaning to everything that I do.

Psalm127:1
"Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain."

Increase this hunger and desire.

1 comment: